Friday, July 29, 2011

Camper Interview: Undergrowth Bassist Rachel Gonzales

[Note: Be sure to check out Mylena Guerrero's bonus video tribute to Undergrowth the end of this article!]

by Mylena Guerrero

At first, I was shocked when my music journalism teacher told me we had to do an interview. From the second she gave us our assignment, I knew I would interview Rachel Gonzales.

I first met her at Polvo’s Restaurant, where my Mom introduced me to her.

There is where I learned that she was in a band called Undergrowth and played bass like me.

Rachel Gonzales is not your typical rock ’n roll bass player. She has been in Undergrowth since high school. She started out playing guitar but then moved on to bass.

A year had passed since our first meeting, it was my aunt’s birthday party, and Undergrowth was invited to play. The party was a lot of fun because I got to hear Undergrowth play live and see Rachel Gonzales again.

Q: How does it feel to be in a band?

A: Fun! I enjoy myself and the reactions of people.


Q: How old were you when you started playing bass?

A: I started when I was 22 years old.


Q: What’s your favorite gig you’ve played at?

A: Fire Base Charlie’s Bar (my aunt’s birthday party).


Q: When you play at a gig do you feel nervous?

A: Yes, usually all the time.


Q: What genre of music do you think ya’ll are?

A: Definitely aggressive rock.


Q: When you play, do you want people to be moved by your music?

A: Yes! It would get me to be a little loose.


Q: What’s the best road trip story, if you’ve ever been far from the gig?

A: When we went to the valley area, where I from. It was fun, nothing major.


Q: What do you think about being in power within music?

A: I won’t listen to anybody say, “you can’t do that because you’re a girl.” I can do anything!


Q: Does it make you happy when people dance to your music?

A: YES! At Fire Base Charlie’s, it was awesome!


Q: How did Undergrowth come together?

A: Well it’s a long story. We started in high school, and at that point I was in guitar. Sadly we separated a little bit, while I was still in the Valley they were in Austin. So I decided to come to Austin to play bass. The bassist before moved to Michigan. I got a little help from a friend, and he gave me bass equipment.


1 comment: